05 January 2012

DIY Piggyback Permrod Set






 Piggyback sets are beneficial for long hair.  If you roll long hair on a single roller, you are overlapping the hair multiple times.  As the hair overlaps, the curl patten that you receive as you get closer to the scalp becomes slightly larger due to the hair being "stacked" on top of itself.  Due to this stacking, it also takes longer for the hair to dry because all of the layers have to be penetrated with the heat or air.

Piggyback sets cut down on dryer time and also gives tighter and more consistent curl patterns.  Depending on the length of your hair, piggybacking can be done with 2 or more perm rods.  I used 2 for the set in my earlier posts but for the sake of illustration, I have used 3 in this post.

Due to the thickness of my hair, I NEVER set my hair as soon as it is shampoo.  I allow my hair to dry until it is barely wet:  that place where when you touch it you question if it is dry or just cool to the touch.  Then I take my bottle of water and oil (if you have a large amount of oil in your water it is going to take longer for your hair to dry) and mist my hair very lightly....just enough so that the hair bends easily.  I mist as I roll.  Here are the steps:

1.  Hold your hair 90 degrees from your scalp.
2. Mist
3.  Determine where you want the first rod to be placed.  If you want a fuller look, go closer to the scalp.  If you want more movement begin further down the hair shaft.
4.  Place first rod on the bottom side of the sectioned out hair shaft and wrap the hair 2-3 times.  Fasten rod,
5.  Place second rod approximately 2 inches beneath the last first one.  Make 2-3 rotations around the rod; going toward the first rod.  Try not to overlap the hair.  Use the entire length of the rod for your curl.  This will give more consistent and tighter curls.
6.  Continue this method until you have piggy backed the entire hair shaft.  Continue with the rest of your hair.

When you remove the perm rods, remove them in the reverse order; remove the one at the bottom of the shaft first and work your way up toward the scalp.  Continue this until all rods are removed.

Keep in mind, that the size of the perm rod will determine the size of your curl pattern.  I like the purple but when I want a slightly larger (more body) set, I use the white ones.

@Euphoria, hope this helps.  Please post photos after you try this set.  Remember to use the entire length of the rod if you have longer hair...this will dramatically cut your dryer time as there are fewer layers for the heat/air to penetrate.  Good luck.

 

6 comments:

Kreyola said...

Something to look forward to. Wow I had no idea you could use the perm rods like that. The result of this looked beautiful!

Locs2Envy said...

Thanks. Please share your photos if you decide to do this set.

V @ Locks-N-Motion said...

That is very creative the curls came out nice.

Locs2Envy said...

Thanks V. I love this set. The dry time is unbelievable for someone with hair as thick as mine.

JUST Euphoria said...

Thanks for the tutorial It Is very obvious that you use to be a hair stylist! you explained it beautifully & when I stop being lazy I will do this set & post pics thanks again Ni.

Locs2Envy said...

You're very welcome E. Please do post photos...would love to see the outcome.